Corporate Social Responsibility
That's how "green" Hawle is.
Most people associate the colour blue with our company name. But Hawle is also "green", as our new CSR Report (Corporate Social Responsibility - Report) shows. In our current sustainability report we provide information on various projects and activities that we are implementing in order to
- protect the environment
- economic stability and
- social responsibility.
In doing so, it becomes clear that we take our brand promise "Made For Generations" seriously in the area of sustainability as well: Because for Hawle, sustainability is not a trend to polish up the image. The protection of the environment and resources has been an important priority for decades.
What contribution does Hawle make to sustainability?
We rely on a range of certifications in the area of sustainability. As well as the ISO 9001 quality management standard, almost all sites of the Hawle Austria Group are certified to the ISO 14001 environmental management standard. In addition, some Hawle companies have already been certified to ISO 50001 Energy Management and ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management.
What specific projects are being implemented?
- More than 95 percent of all plastic parts are manufactured in-house. This results in very short transport routes to the other production sites. In this way we save CO2 emissions and protect our environment.
- Quality leadership is only possible through strong partnerships. Hawle therefore relies on long-standing local partners in the value chain: the proportion of regional suppliers (distance <500 km) is 74%. This network not only enables us to respond quickly and flexibly to customer requirements, but also reduces greenhouse gases through short transport routes.
- Traffic on our roads accounts for a considerable amount of CO2 emissions. In our own foundry in Austria we manufacture ductile iron for our products. In addition, 85 percent of the purchasing volume comes from Europe. This results in very short transport distances to the other production sites.
- We have key figures in the area of environmental and energy management, which we review on an ongoing basis. On the basis of these key figures, the targets for the following year are developed or already established targets are corrected and adjusted. The development of the following key figures is encouraging:
- From 2015 to 2020, we reduced total energy consumption by 4.4% (electricity + local and district heating + fuels + heating oil).
- From 2015 to 2020, we reduced waste and residual materials by 33%.
- From 2015 to 2020, we reduced water consumption by 17.73%.
- As a family business, we bear social responsibility and do not accept poor working conditions in the manufacture of our products (suppliers). We personally convince ourselves of compliance with our ethical and social requirements and high quality standards in regular audits of existing suppliers on site.
- Regular workplace evaluations in cooperation with the occupational health service identify occupational health and safety risks. For this purpose, we have experts from the fields of occupational medicine, occupational psychology and workplace ergonomics at our disposal. Compared to the industry average, the picture for E. Hawle is very pleasing. The accident rate at E. Hawle is less than a third of the industry average.
That was just a small selection of our sustainable activities. Anyone who would like to know more can find our full CSR report here: https://www.hawle.com/en/hawle-quality/corporate-social-responsibility/